Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Check engine


A few days ago the check engine light came on.  And stayed on.  Uh, oh.  I checked all the fluids that could be checked and all was well.  Not good.  Getting a 4Runner serviced here is, to put it mildly, a challenge.  I got on line and everyone said to take it to a shop to have the code read.  While someone Might have a code reader in the region I have no idea who and the nearest shop that did would be an hour from home.  Of the thousands of possible reasons the light could come on the most frequent is the MAS.  Now I had to research what a MAS in a Toyota is.  Mass Airflow Sensor turns out.  I followed the instructions to clean it, removing various parts to get to it, sprayed it with contact cleaner (only $8 a can here in town), disconnected the battery to reset the light and...IT WORKED!!  Needless to say we're pretty happy.

No comments: